Katie Butterfield recently graduated from UC Merced with a degree in political science. While finishing her degree, she discovered her passion for sustainability. She also loves food! These two passions led her to create her own blog about the food movement. Her goal is to educate people about the problems in our current food system and give examples of how to make it more sustainable- check out her awesome recipe tips!
I learned to cook in a large kitchen with ample counter space, multiple ovens, and perhaps the largest, fully stocked pantry you've ever seen. When I went to college, this changed dramatically. First I lived in the dorms, then in a house with six people sharing a kitchen. Now my husband and I live in an apartment with a limited kitchen.
We have found that the best way to make cooking dinner easy is to perfect the base meal that we cook. By base meal I mean that one dish that we make whenever we just can't think of anything else to cook. Changing our base meal to fresh vegetables and rice was not only beneficial for the size of our kitchen, it was also a step toward eating more sustainably. We found that it is simple and quick to make and turns out a little different every time because we use different vegetables and sauces.
Rice and Veggies:
- Cook some rice (we use about ½ Cup of dry rice per person). Follow the directions that came with your rice to make sure that it cooks properly. Different types of rice have different cooking times. We use a rice cooker because we make this meal so often.
- Next chop up your vegetables and sauté them in a pan with a little oil and a pinch of salt.
- Serve vegetables over rice with salt, soy sauce, or other sauce.
Often we eat this with cheese sauce. Changing the sauce is another way to make this simple meal different every time. My husband and I both love peanut butter, so we have created a peanut butter cheese sauce. If you'd like to get creative with this meal and you like peanut butter, here is the recipe.
Peanut Butter Cheese Sauce:
1/2 Cup peanut butter
1/2 Cup warm water
pinch of salt
hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 Tbl. Honey (optional)
3 thick slices of cheese (we like cheddar best), cut into small cubes
- In a bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, water, salt, hot sauce, and honey.
- Once fully combined, the mixture should be smooth. Transfer to a small pot and place on medium high heat on the stovetop. Once the mixture is simmering, mix in the cheese, stirring constantly.
- When all of the cheese is melted, pour this sauce over your rice and veggies and enjoy!
I don't know too many people who have been brave enough to try this, so if you are one of them, don't worry! You can make this with out the cheese and have a nice Asian-style peanut sauce. Or make your own wacky sauce, or normal sauce if you prefer. It is important that you cook food that you like the taste of so that you want to keep cooking- no reason living in a tiny house should make this difficult! Get creative and find something that you love!