Obviously a lot of work happened before we started doing interiors, so I thought it best to show a few of those photos. Before you can even start working on the floors, metal side rails have to be removed and ground smooth. Insulating the floor boards is a necessity and you've got to lay a subfloor.
The walls are up, so the guys have started finishing the interior. Tongue and groove paneling is going on the walls. They've already applied a coat of finish on the front and back of the boards with a power air machine thingy! Who knows what it is called. We were lucky to have a bunch of warm dry days, so the boards could dry outside.
It took about 12 hours of solid work by Jeff (my partner) and I to clear a space at my parent’s property. We started by moving a compost pile that was about the size of two deep freezers. Then we cleared brush, cut down a few small trees, and bundled the branches up for pickup. A large garden had to be transplanted, and while it was frustrating to move such things as three tiger lilies over to a place that had about forty more, I understand my mom’s decision to want them saved.
So hostas, bee balm, echinachea and other assorted flowers all got moved. I refuse to move forget-me-nots or lilies of the valley. They’re a dime a dozen, and spread like weeds. It’s criminal that stores sell them in small pots for around $3.00.
We schlepped quite a few loads of rotten planks and fallen tree limbs which we’ve paid to have taken away. I got to use the chain saw and that was fun.
Then we got to the ivy covered things: bed springs, thirty year old rotten tables and chairs, and a large fishing net stuck in the ground. And that’s where we struggled. I call it garbage, my mom calls it art. Some things got moved to another garden, some things went out to the trash. It was fine compromising by everyone. I have to always be aware that though this is my dream, it’s my parent’s place. It’s a fine balance. The temperature was wonderful and the bugs weren’t bad, but the sweat poured down our backs. My husband loves to swim even in freezing temperatures so it was an easy dive into the lake to cool off. I dipped in my toe, made it to my knee, then beat a hasty retreat. I’m happy to wait for summer when the water is warm and I’ve got no cares in the world. My parent’s place is about a 2.5 hour drive away which makes it tough to pop in to do some final cleanup, but it still has to happen. We’ll need to cut back some of the brush in the driveway so the trailer can be backed in easily. The photos don’t do the Herculean task justice.
We ordered siding. My heart was set on a bright Key West type colour (yellow or blue), but when I found out that would take 6 weeks for delivery (long after the class will be finished working), I decided I could live with the options they gave me -- all fairly dull earthy colours. Sigh. I’ll be painting my front door the brightest most eye blinding colour possible. I’m going with vertical siding rather than horizontal just to break up the long look of the trailer. The siding is going to set me back around a thousand dollars. I’ll know the exact number when I get the final bill. I think my actual costs have been about $7700 (including the trailer). I’ve estimated I’ll spend at least another 7000 on siding, fixtures, appliances, etc. I know there are people out there who know how to do all of this for zero dollars; I’m not one of them. I guess if I’d been scrounging for years, I’d have a lot of this on hand, but since everything has to happen now or yesterday, the options are limited.
On the weekend a house that was under construction blew down. Don’t think I didn’t contemplate going over to see what could be scrounged!
All 4 walls are up and the class is working on building the interior wall and a pocket door for the bathroom. Next week, they’ll be working on insulating the place and wiring the electrical. Fortunately our former shop teacher has his electrical papers.